Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 42 - Be a Popeye!



After supper on Friday night we watched some old Popeye cartoons. One of his famous lines is "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" Popeye would then eat a can of spinach and suddenly have the strength to right the injustice. This reminded me of a book I started to read a few years ago called "Holy Discontent" by Bill Hybels. From the back cover "What is the one aspect of this broken world that, when you see it, touch it, or get near it, you just can't stand? What reality is so troubling that it thrusts you off the couch and into action? This is what Bill Hybels refers to as a "holy discontent": a personal "firestorm of frustration" that, although sparked by that which is terribly wrong, can catalyze fierce determination to set things right. It is often during these eye-opening heart-hungering moments of engagement when you will hear God whisper, "I feel the exact same way about this situation. Now, let's go solve it together!"" Who needs spinach? With God's help, I can be a Popeye and be an unstoppable force for good in this world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment